An official army family and MWR Site

Home Based Businesses

HBBs allow Families to work from their Army quarters, developing rewarding careers that follow them through PCS moves. The wide span of HBBs operated by Army Families includes:

  • Car repair/service
  • Hairdressing and hairstyling
  • Home baking and meal preparation
  • Pet grooming and pet sitting
  • Massage therapy
  • Retail sales from home

HBB owners need to obtain approval from the garrison commander or senior commander. We’ve recently streamlined the process to make it quicker and easier.

Do I need to apply for a Home Based Business Permit?

Not everyone who works from home operates an HBB though. If you work remotely from your home, you probably don’t need approval. Other examples of businesses that don’t need approval are:

  • Bookkeeping and tax preparation
  • Personal training conducted outside the home
  • Photography, graphic design, and advertising services
  • Tutoring and music instruction
  • Entertainment or travel planning
  • Housecleaning and lawn care
  • Selling items from multi-level marketing (MLM) companies
How to Apply for a Home Based Business Permit

The Army’s new standardized HBB application template streamlines the approval process. Of course, installations are still required to adhere to local and state laws and regulations regarding home business operations, so check into those, too.

Here's how to apply:

Step 1: Obtain the HBB Application.  Visit the Fort Riley DFMWR Financial Management Office or download your HBB application and any required additional forms.

Click here to download the Home Based Business Application 

Step 2:  Complete the Application.  This includes visiting and obtaining approval from installation agencies like the housing office and community housing manager. The application should identify the agencies, but ask your Solicitation Officer if you have questions. If you need any additional documentation (like licensing or certifications), get that, too.


Step 3: Turn in the Application: Once you’ve completed your paperwork, submit the application to the Fort Riley DFMWR Financial Management Office at 500 Huebner Rd., Rm 108, Fort Riley, KS 66442.                                                                                

Within 60 days, you should get notification of approval. Simple!

More Specialty Services